Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wait, Where Are We?


Is it Day 5 of FanstRAvaganza3 already?  Wow, where has this week gone?  If you haven't been keeping up, you're in the Fandom tagteam chain today and I'm it, haha...uh, yeah, let's get to it, shall we?
**************************************************************
So where are we?

The Tommyverse, of course.  I've long been fascinated by the Tommyverse (and the fact that anyone would actually map it out) which led me to kind of idly wonder if any of Richard Armitage's characters live there.  As you should know by now idle wondering on my part can be dangerous.  First, a little background.

The Tommyverse is the television universe that exists inside the mind of Tommy Westphall, a minor character on St. Elsewhere in the 1980s.  The final episode hinted that the entire series had taken place in Tommy's mind and if that was the case then, through crossovers and spin offs, so did a lot of other television shows from I Love Lucy to Torchwood.  It's actually amazing to me how many shows buy into it.  For example, both The Cigarette Smoking Man from The X-Files and Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer smoked Morleys cigarettes and Detective John Munch (Richard Belzer) has been a character in shows on Fox, NBC, HBO and the BBC. 

So, what about Richard Armitage?  There's only one candidate.  In my loopy visit with Jose Chung he called himself the Prothonatary of Dead Heroes Frank Spotnitz Has Killed.  Spotnitz wrote the first American season of Strike Back for Cinemax but his having written and produced other shows in the Tommyverse (XF, The Lone Gunmen, Millenium) isn't the important thing here.  What we're looking for is an in universe reference and there seems to be one but it's ambiguous.  I fully admit that I didn't bother watching this beyond the point John Porter died heroically for Queen and country but Traxy caught the moment that "the hunks" checked into a hotel as "Mr. Langley" and "Mr. Byers," two of The Lone Gunmen.  The hunks did not look like sci-fi dudes so for the purposes of this post we'll go with it was an in universe reference to two other heroes whose bravery shouldn't be forgotten.

I normally do music on this blog so today we're going to end with another John Porter vid, this one by DelicateBlossom.  Have a great rest of your FanstRAvaganza3!

 
***********************************************************
While today's Fandom tagteam is just me you can find all kinds of other posts in this week's chain at  Feminema, Phylly's Faves, White Rose: Sincere And Simple Thoughts, Something About LoveThe Armitage Effect, An Obsessed Fanatic, and Crispin's Eclipse.  Tomorrow Phylly's Faves is back and Sunday will wrap up this chain here and at AIsForArmitage.  See you soon!

14 comments:

  1. If I did not think you mad before, I certainly do now. A mad GENIUS!ahahahahaha. You make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch Strike Back 2 very carefully so I missed the references to the Lone Gunmen too! Too bad we didn't see some nice RA posterior shots before JP was written out of the show though. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trax really took one for the team there, lol!

      Delete
  3. Wait, is this then all of big conspiracy on TV? Wait, what?
    LOL! I'm going with JeannieGisborne on this one ;) Giggling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's a conspiracy so much as a big joke, lol!

      Delete
  4. I'd never heard of the Tommyverse before (that site is amazing!). What about the reference to Thornton in RH S1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since neither RH or N&S exist in the Tommyverse I'd say that was just a sneaky reference but it's the same concept. And, yeah, that site is unbelievable.

      Delete
  5. Everyone has an Alternate Universe! Pity Tommyverse hasn't discovered Gisborne yet. :D

    fitzg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Guy...I can only imagine the damage he could do in an AU, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK -- so does this mean we might be able to see John Porter in other television shows? If so, I'm definitely on board. I miss Porter so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so unless it's as a ghost or in flashbacks. The Tommyverse is pretty consistent.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jazzy!
    I remember watching that last St. Elsewhere episode, thinking "what an interesting twist"--and memorable, since we remember it and it has been copied. Think Dallas and Bobby coming back as well.

    I didn't see SB2 beyond Porter's death. And I wished I hadn't seen that far into it since its gratuitous "everything" was painful to watch. RA was smartly out of the second series. Though why they "had" to kill off Porter's character is beyond me. Spite. Ha!

    Cheers! Grati ;->

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!