Monday, January 2, 2012

Monday Morning Black Hole Sun

Everybody get through the weekend and the holiday safely?  If you're reading this then I assume you did and I'm glad you're back for more of my silliness.  It's another Monday morning which means another mashup but first I want to explain something.  Over on me + richard the other night Servetus posted a Muppets barbershop quartet cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and I commented that I was "still fetal" about it.  There are very few songs that I'm so emotionally attached to that I have a sense of humor failure about them but that one definitely qualifies.  It takes me to a specific time in my life when the world was confounding me and Kurt Cobain was the only one who got it.  There are some covers I'm okay with (Tori Amos's, for example) and Weird Al's parody is brilliant but Paul Anka's?  Raging in a mosh pit spilling your beer?  Yes.  Ring-a-ding-ding and sloshing a martini?  Oh hell no. 

That being said, I love Paul Anka's rendition of today's mashup song, "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden from Superunknown released in 1994.  Love them though I do I don't have the same emotional attachment to most of their work that I do to SMTS (though if he ever does a cover of "My Wave" we might have to revisit this issue).  Anka released the album Rock Swings in 2005 and his cover of "Black Hole Sun" is odd but beautiful.  Imagine what an old school crooner could do with the phrase "boiling heat/summer stench/neath the black the sky looks dead."  Or, you know, listen to it.



Anka's version is swingier than Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme's on 1997's  Lounge-a-palooza.  A truly brilliant vidder put their cover together with Soundgarden's original, freaky deaky vid and came up with this. 



While I don't mind these versions (or at least I don't want to stab myself in the ear drums when I hear them) there's only one voice that can truly do it justice.  I think I might need to hear the acoustic of this just to kind of cleanse my brain. 



Much better.  The kids watched Spy Kids last night so I'm gonna go look for booby traps now.  You all have a great Monday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing in the world for you to be sorry for, Kurbiss. It actually surprised me how it freaked me out because I normally love anything Muppet related. It's just me being a snob. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That freaky vid was freaky. Went well with an equally freaky song. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've been living under a rock - I didn't know this song but love it! Thanks for the discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @judiang...it is indeed freaky but the effects are amazing.

    @calexora...LOL, you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I don't even know where to begin.... Ok, here it goes...

    The Paul Anka cover was definitely swingier and kinda interesting. I'm curious about what else is on an album with the title "Rock Swings". Could be fun. I'm going to have to check it out.

    Uhhm,.....I didn't think the original video could get anymore freaktastic than it was. I was wrong. That Lawrence and Gorme version made it that much more disturbing to watch. *shudder* Still a good song.

    I'm glad you put up one by the man himself because, to quote someone fabulous,..."I think I might need to hear the acoustic of this just to kind of cleanse my brain." I love me some Chris Cornell. I have a Christmas CD with him singing Ave Maria. Its definitely interesting.

    And did you see at the beginning and end of the video, it said "Audioslave's Chris Cornell Black Hole Sun"? I don't know why that bothers me so much.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, it seems wrong, doesn't it? He was with Audioslave at the time, though. I've heard that version of Ave Maria and love Cornell though I do it's not my fave at all. Thanks for commenting, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!